Table of Contents
Knowing God intimately is one of the most beautiful experiences known to mankind. Sex, drugs, people, and other sources of emotional highs can’t compare to the fullness of what God can offer you!
When I first got saved, I was shy, insecure, depressed, and scared of being myself. I was smoking weed mildly to feel confident and aware of my emotions. One day God spoke to my spirit and said, if you give up this temporary solution I will give you a permanent fix. I was nervous, but I said yes. I said Yes to God being the only thing I was dependent on for my identity. He took me on a journey of healing my insecurities, breaking my toxic generational patterns, removing my fears, speaking to me in my dreams, and teaching me that He was my father who loved me. I was like his garden that He was removing the weeds, so the flowers He planted when He created me could spring up without being suffocated.
I’m so thankful for God. As a single woman, He revealed men I would have dated that are wolves in sheep clothing. He has revealed friends that had an impure heart towards me. He has given me dreams about tests and how to study. God has helped me avoid problems at work with dreams. He has open my eyes to impure pieces of my heart that needed to be healed and matured. He has guided me.
You can have a deep relationship with God as well. It truly is exciting. He begins with rescuing you from sin, cleaning you up from the filth of sin, and then perfecting you to live as an ambassador on this earth. The truth is, God wants to raise Paul, Peters, Johns, and Davids up on this earth. He wants powerful women and men of God that HEAR, OBEY, STUDY, and SUBMIT to God.
The love that I have experienced is available for EVERYONE. This is GREAT news for you. If you desire to know God, He will pour out his love for you to experience it personally. God’s desire to know us at a heart level has NEVER changed. He wanted that in the old and New Testament.
- In the New Testament God states: “So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” Luke 11:9
- In the Old Testament God states: “But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul.” Deuteronomy 4:29
- “But if anyone loves God, he is known by God.” 1 Corinthians 8:3
What is the purpose of knowing God?
The purpose of knowing God is finding completion and true friendship. We often look to relationships, friendships, and our work to make us happy. But we can never find complete happiness in people, situations, or things. Earthly treasures and relationships are suppose to be the cherry on top! The truth is, most of us are looking to be loved in such a deep and powerful way, but no one can ease that longing except the person that created us. Our creator knows every strand of hair on our head.
Related Article: How To Find The Source Of Happiness & Love
How I got to know God better:
When I first got saved, I realized that I didn’t know if God was real. I asked him to help me know if he was truly real or fake. God answered me. He sent me three signs which I still doubted. Then, God spoke to me audibly. He told me to make sure that I prayed daily. So, that’s what I started to do even if I didn’t pray for a long time.
Since then, I got to know God more intimately by being consistent. Some days, I have time to worship and mediate for hours! And some days, I’m so busy that my only personal time with God is in the car, getting ready, and as I lay down to sleep. Despite the time, I have always given him my best. And God knows my heart is to give him my best.
How can you know God personally?
You can get to know God better by spending time with God, reading the word, seeking mentors, and doing everything possible to grow in spiritual understanding. Here is a detailed list with verses to help you get to know God more personally.
1. Seek God with ALL your heart not time: As long as you give God your BEST, you are doing good enough. You can read the scriptures, pray, worship, and do everything better and longer than everyone else, but without a pure heart before God it means nothing. If you have the wrong heart you are like a Pharisee that wants to “look holy” rather than a humble man that will be “truly holy” because they tried their best.
Remember, “you will find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul.” Luke 11:9 My favorite story in the Bible to demonstrate this is King David. He plotted to have his lover’s husband killed. God did punish him for His actions. But, God still counted him righteous because “He was a man after God’s heart.” He was forgiven because He truly loved God, repented, and changed His ways.
2. Spend time with God: In order to pass a test you have to spend time studying, reading, and listening to your professor. The key to passing is “you have to spending time getting to know the material more.” You must do the same in you walk with God. Of course, if everyday was ideal we should spend as much time in a quiet room by ourselves reading, praying, worshipping, etc. However, spending time with God looks different for different people due to their life responsibilities (kids, jobs, etc.).
There is no perfect formula to get close to him. You can spend time with God by thinking about scriptures while you’re at work. You can spend time with God by listening to worship music and praising him while driving. Just give God your best which will look different than others!
“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” Romans 12:2
Related Article: 4 Biblical Secrets To Discern The Voice Of God!
3. Read the Bible: Hearing God’s voice and his direction is hard when you can’t discern if it’s Satan, your own thoughts OR God. The Bible is key to understanding how God thinks and behaves. It is also key to teach you how to think and behave. The Bible characters have been through situations that are very similar to ours! We can use the story of each character to help us live holier lives.
“So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.” Romans 10:17
4. Wise counsel: Christian mentorship is very important while getting closer to God. Someone that has experienced the journey can help you pass through issues with more ease and understand God better. In my journey, I found myself having a lot of dreams that came true. I didn’t really know who to help. In my dreams God would warn me about people, show me areas of my and the hearts of others’ that needed healing, and direct me to do something. I had to learn much of this myself, but you don’t have to.
5. Get Healing: You can’t SEE God clearly and you can’t avoid sin if your vision is polluted with negative and burdensome emotions. You need a pure heart to pursue God uninterrupted connection with God. “No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him.” 1 John 3:6
Do you need to emotionally healing? If not, it’s imperative you seek it because you need a sober mind to seek, see, and hear God. Related QUIZ: Are You Carrying Emotional Baggage? “Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are healthy, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are unhealthy, your body also is full of darkness. See to it, then, that the light within you is not darkness.” – Luke 11:34-35
6. Pray: God will answer your prayers if you ask him from a pure heart. Don’t be afraid to wait, he will answer even if the answer is no or wait. “And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.” 1 John 5:14-15 Related Article: 5 Secrets for Powerful Prayers That Get Answered!
7. Have faith: It might take time for God to answer your prayers. It may take time for you to BELIEVE that you are close to God. But God is always there and He is ALWAYS speaking to you about things. Sometimes, He has to teach you simple things before He can explain complicated things. Trust that God wants to bless you. “Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4
Related Article: Waiting On God: 6 Ways It Prepares You!
"If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.” -Matthew 17:20
8. Be Consistent: Don’t quit. Keep going. Even when it’s hard. Learn more about consistency and perseverance in this article: 5 Tips To Run The Race Strong From Scripture!
What is the difference between knowing about God and knowing God personally?
Knowing God personally helps us to understand the scripture through love rather than passionless obedience. In contrast, the Pharisee’s were excellent students of the Old Testament. They could recite it and knew every scripture. However, they didn’t understand the scripture. They didn’t know who God was in the story. They saw God as a respecter of titles, positions, and appearances. But God doesn’t care about how well the performance went if you killed people to get there and your heart was corrupt while on stage.
Is God a personal God?
Absolutely! God is very personal with me and answers everyone of my questions and prayers. He doesn’t do it right away, but he does it. There have been times when I’ve been so insecure about my hair and random strangers would keep complimenting me. God cares about EVERY intimate detail and He wants to nurture our fears, cares, and emotions.
What is the Importance of knowing God?
God literally helps me to avoid complicated issues, heal traumatic wounds, and live a healthy life. I talk about the 8 benefits that we receive when we start a relationship with God in this article.
What’s the difference between feeling God vs knowing God?
Many mistake feeling God with knowing God. Everyone has access to feeling his presence near them and within them. God doesn’t want to withhold himself from anyone. But, you having cool experiences is NOT the same as knowing God. Knowing God involves understanding God’s motives, His plans for the earth, His heart for prayer, and having a deeper revelation of how His character in the Bible is still applicable in your everyday life. You will develop a deeper understanding of who He is comes with quality time spent and years of wisdoms gained from experience with God.
Related Article: 5 Secrets for Powerful Prayers That Get Answered!
What is the difference between knowing God and believing in God?
The more that you know God, it will allow you to believe in him even more. For instance, if you know that he will answer your prayers… It will allow you to wait a year for a prayer to come to pass. In my life, I’ve had dreams about men being a bad match for me. This was frustrating because I wanted to be in a relationship so badly. But, I know that God withholds no good thing. Therefore, I believe He will provide in the right time and I continue to wait on God for the right person and moment.
How to know that God is speaking to you?
You can be fully sure that God is speaking to you, when His direction, interactions, and revelations line up with biblical principles. God speaks to heal, encourage, protect, and rescue His children from the pain and sin. There are four steps that I suggest to discern if God is speaking to you. The steps include understanding God’s character, purifying your heart, testing the voice, and receiving Christ. Read more on this topic in the article 4 Biblical Secrets To Discern The Voice of God!
Prayer to Know God More Intimately
Lord, I believe your words in the Bible are true. I believe that the more I seek you with all my heart is the more I find you. So I ask you to create a pure heart in me, a heart that longs to hear your voice and know your ways. Father, remove selfish ambition from me. May I seek you for the victory of your kingdom and not for my own personal gain. I ask that I would have dreams, visions, and prophetic encounters to understand you more. I ask that you give me a heart to LOVE what you love. And a heart to HATE what you hate. May I love humanity and wish for their salvation as much as you. May I be compassionate to people as I war against the evil in this world. Father, give me spiritual eyes to see how close we are. I am your sheep. I hear your voice. I long to do only what you ask. Thank you father that Jesus showed me the way to intimacy with you. I love you. Amen.
8 Verses Explaining How To Get To Know God:
1. “And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.” Hebrews 11:6
2. If you follow God, He will always be with you. Jesus said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” – John 8:12
3. God promised to be there if we seek him and He doesn’t lie. “God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?” Numbers 23:19
Related Article: 14 Tips To Stand Firm In Faith When You’re Tired!
4. Sin hinders our relationship with God. “No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him.” 1 John 3:6
5. “We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error. Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God.” 1 John 4:6-7
6. “I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently find me.” Proverbs 8:17
7. “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.” Jeremiah 29:11-13
8. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” Proverbs 3:5-6
Related Article: 7 Causes Of Pride: How To Be More Humble!
What hinders intimacy with God?
Distrust of God, fear, self-hate, sin, pride, pain, selfishness, manipulation, control, anxiety, addictions, escapism are all strategies to deal with pain. However, those strategies involve dealing with pain without God’s help. When we try to deal with pain ourselves it is pride. Pride hinders love and intimacy with God.
7 Signs of intimacy with God:
1. You hate sin, but you are filled with compassion for sinners.
2. You spend time in prayer, worship, and biblical study.
3. You have a still and calm mind and spirit
4. You don’t pretend to have it all together
5. You wait on God’s direction
6. You aren’t better than anyone and you’re humble
7. You allow God to strip you of self-hate, pride, pain, and anything that hinders intimacy
7 Benefits of intimacy with God:
1. Hear God’s voice and perspective on issues
2. Experience God’s peace that surpasses all understanding
3. Freedom from fear, pain, and painful emotional baggage
4. Clarity of mind to pursue your purpose and intimacy with God
5. Deeper understanding of God’s Character
6. Revelation of Bible from your own daily experiences
7. Receiving a Good father that loves you unconditionally!