Yes, God still speaks. He is not dead and is very active. He is intentional about what He is saying and doing, and nothing is a coincidence. So, be still and know that He is God, and that He wants to communicate with you clearly.
As it says in Acts 2:17, "In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people; your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams."
Is God Speaking to You?
1. You Hear God: God can speak to you through various means such as hearing His voice audibly, receiving messages through a dream, experiencing a still small voice, having a deep sense of knowing, reading the Bible, receiving messages through a prophet, encountering a situation or sign, having an angelic visitation, or seeing a vision. In the Bible, God spoke to people in different ways, so it’s important not to limit God to only one method of communication. In fact, God even spoke through a donkey in the Old Testament. Ultimately, the most important thing is that the message is biblically sound, regardless of the way it was delivered.
2. You feel peace: You feel filled with peace and hope that surpasses all understanding. When God speaks, His message will not confuse you. Even if things are chaotic, His leading will feel right, and all the puzzle pieces will come together naturally. “For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.” 1 Corinthians 14:33.
3. The message is reoccurring: You have received the same word and/or signs multiple times about the same thing. The signs will usually come from different people and in multiple different ways. For instance, when Mary was going to have Jesus, the angel appeared to her. Then the angel appeared to her cousin Elizabeth and testified. And when Joseph planned to leave Mary due to fear, an angel confirmed that Mary was carrying God’s son. This was further intensified by the fact that Jesus’ coming was prophesied about over 44 times by many other prophets such as John the Baptist, Isaiah, and more.
4. It came naturally: God spoke to you freely, and you didn’t tell Him what signs you needed to see. It’s essential to avoid having suggestive prayers as your primary confirmation. For instance, don’t pray, “If that’s my future spouse, allow them to wear green tomorrow,” or “Wake me up at 3:00 am if that’s my job.” The Bible warns against using such requests as a way of discerning God’s will: “For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.” (2 Peter 1:21)
5. It aligns with the word: God’s voice doesn’t contradict His character in the Bible. The word promotes forgiveness, peace, mercy, justice, righteousness, and lovingly leads people to His truth. Therefore, your dream should also encourage you and others to stand strong in identity, purpose, and personal relationship with Him. “God is not man, that he should lie, or a son of man, that he should change his mind. Has he said, and will he not do it? Or has he spoken, and will he not fulfill it?” Numbers 23:19
6. You have a track record of successfully hearing from God. God will give you dreams, words, or encouragements to strengthen your faith and confirm that you are hearing him clearly. However, if you consistently misunderstand what God is saying and your words do not come true, then you may be mishearing God. “Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.” Proverbs 30:5.
Related Article: 22 Signs You Are Marked by God + Scriptures
7. You receive divine wisdom: You have received wisdom and knowledge that you didn’t have before, after praying. “Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.” Jeremiah 33:3
8. It leads you to pray: You prayed and/or sought wise biblical counsel to ensure you’re not interpreting things through selfish desires. “Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things.” 2 Peter 1:20-21
9. You’re being guiding: You are being given strategic steps to take in a complicated situation. Even though you may not understand how all the pieces are coming together, by God’s grace, you have everything you need to persevere. As Psalm 119:105 says, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”
10. You’re receiving wisdom: Deep biblical wisdom is being revealed in your personal life, and you can relate to the struggles of biblical characters. When you’re truly following God, it opens your eyes to understand the challenges faced by people in the Bible. Following God’s voice makes the Bible come alive because you can relate to its messages more fully. “For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12)
Related Article: How to Hear God’s Voice: Is it Satan or God?
11. The guidance and direction received from God is producing righteousness and much fruit in your life. Your growth will be so beautiful that it will be noticeable by you and to others. “Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock.” Matthew 7:24
“In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” Matthew 5:16
12. You are excited about the opportunity to live a purposeful life. “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11
13. You are being stretched in your ability to keep your peace, remain humble, and walk on water. You allow God to guide you into something you wouldn’t normally do without His prompting. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.” Proverbs 3:4-5
14. You are being enlightened to ideas and plans to bring righteousness, forgiveness, love, salvation, and healing to the world. “When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.” John 16:13
15. Your sins are being highlighted and you feel a deep sorrow (not condemnation) for disappointing God. “For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death.” 2 Corinthians 7:10
16. His voice encourages you to repent and forgive. When God leads us down ANY path it involves him purifying us. If YOU think He is leading you down a path, but you are not convicted to go deeper in holiness then you are probably not truly hearing God. You should have a deep desire to drop all manipulation, pride, control, fear, immorality, and fleshly behavior when you are being led by God. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9
17. You are being given wisdom that uproots false theologies, Gospel messages, idolatry, and/or fleshly belief systems that contradict the promises of God. “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.” Romans 12:2
18. You need God’s strength to walk you through the process of receiving the promise. “But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31
19. God is asking you to step out in faith about something. Please seek wise counsel on this to ensure you don’t make unnecessary or unbiblical decisions in your zeal. For example, God could be encouraging you to quit your job, but NOT in your timing. Too often we forget to apply wisdom to prophetic words and rush into something prematurely.
20. You desire God more than the outcome. When God speaks it should lead you closer to him even if the “promise” isn’t what you thought it would be.
21. You keep being given the same advice and/or you’re going through the same situations. This means God wants you to understand a truth and/or learn a lesson. For example, repetitive issues with relationships, family, and friends might mean God wants to grow you in loving your neighbor.
22. God warns you in dreams or through people before something bad happens. This is usually to ensure that Satan doesn’t knock you off track. Keep going the promise land is near.