Table of Contents
Loving yourself is necessary to love God. God created humanity in his perfect image. How can we respect God and his creativity if we don’t find his creation marvelous? We must make every step towards loving ourselves and taking time to find the Godly qualities that we’ve been blessed with. We are able to see the beauty in others, when we find the beauty within ourselves.
In my life, I have learned to be gentle with myself when I make mistakes.
I’ve learned to love my quirkiness and the way I get intensely passionate & talkative about something. I have also learned that I don’t need to “get it” right away, but I have time and there is grace for me in my growth in Christ. This has set me free to be myself and removed my focus on perfection.
Love Thy Neighbour as Thyself
Now that I’m embracing my imperfect myself, I sympathize with others going through that same process more easily. I’m able to be gentle when people are working through bitterness, un-forgiveness, self hate, temptation, etc. I’m able to see how beautiful people are despite their struggles and flaws, because I’ve learned to do the same for myself.
I’m learning to love myself, guard my heart, submit my weaknesses to God, allow God to provide for me, let God defend me, and rely on God to help me resist temptation. The more I learn is the more I can support and love others on that same journey: “This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” (Matthew 22: 38-39 KJV) God is helping me to have the type of “Love [that] does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore [my] love [can] the fulfilling of the law.”(Romans 13:10)
Keep in mind that that Bible also commands us to grow in love and then, “Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.” Romans 12:10 “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.” Matthew 7:12
These commands raises a few thoughts that must be explored on our journey to loving others. We must TRULY love all of ourselves. For, If we are critical of ourselves, we will be critical of others. If we think negatively of ourselves, we may date and befriend others that don’t think highly of us. Ultimately, the better we treat ourselves is the better we will treat others.
Self Love Prayer
This prayer is for individuals that desire to love themselves deeper: “God teach me how to love myself”: Lord, thank you for creating me. You made me perfectly and you are not ashamed of me. You choose to create me, even though you knew I would mess up sometimes. Thank you for being God. Thank you for everything you keep doing to help me stay pure and holy. I ask that you would remove negative thoughts and any shame I may feel. Help me to understand how you love me and that you appreciate that I do my best to delight in you. Lord send me reminders that I’m doing a good job, that I’m beautiful/handsome, and that you have purpose for my life. Amen."
Bible Verses About Self Love
These self love bible verses on loving yourself deeply can be used as christian bible based affirmations; they’ll help you deepen your understanding of how God desires you to view yourself.
- Everything about your face, smile, laugh, body, and personality is absolutely stunning. “You are altogether beautiful, my love; there is no flaw in you.” Song of Solomon 4:7
- When you love yourself well, you can treat others with the same respect and patience. “For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Galatians 5:14
- God created you with a purpose and made you beautiful. “For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.” Psalm 139:13-15
- You are worthy because God picked you. Not, because of qualifications created by humans. “Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12
- God created you beautiful and made a path for you to fulfill your purpose. “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” Ephesians 2:10
- God loves your heart more than the things on the outside. “But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7
- You are good enough for God. “But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8
- You are a child of God who was created in his perfect image. You have access to his power, authority, peace, and holiness. “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.” 1 John 3:1
- For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. Ephesians 5:29-30
- But let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. 1 Peter 3:4
Bible Verses About Self Acceptance
These Bible verses on self-acceptance are designed to show you that God accepts you and approves of you despite your past. Use the statements prior to the verses as affirmations to love yourself deeply.
- You don’t have to focus on your wrongs and mistakes. God has cleaned you up. “This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” 2 Corinthians 5:17
- God knew that you would mess up and he still wanted you to receive forgiveness and shine his light in the world. “Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes.” Ephesians 1:4
- God is pleased with you because you love him and try to keep his ways. “The Lord’s delight is in those who fear him, hose who put their hope in his unfailing love.” Psalm 147:11
- You are powerful and have traits of God. “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” Genesis 1:27
- God is protective over your body and soul, it’s beautiful. “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own” 1 Corinthians 6:19
- God does not wish for your to struggle with shame, guilt, and pain. He wants to invite you into the healing power and peace of Jesus. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16
- The more you ask God for wisdom is the more you’ll understand how wonderfully you have been created. “Whoever gets sense loves his own soul; he who keeps understanding will discover good.“ Proverbs 19:8
Bible Verses About Being Happy With Yourself
God created you with a unique personality, humor, and gifting. This is because you have a purpose to fulfill that no one else can. Use these affirmations to be happy with yourself and delight in your heavenly beauty.
- I can relax and be myself because God is protecting me from all haters. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
- Holy people walk to the beat of God’s drum. They aren’t afraid of doing the opposite of what everyone else is. “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers.” Psalm 1:1
- God delights in givers like you. “Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” 2 Corinthians 9:7
- I please God and not people. “For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.” Galatians 1:10
Bible Verses About Self Care
- Taking care of my body and my spiritual being is important for a righteous life. “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.” 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
- I pray that you remain healthy! “Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul.:” 3 John 1:2
- God protects me from people that wish to dishonor the righteous. “If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy him. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple.” 1 Corinthians 3:17
- God doesn’t want me to be confused or anxious. “Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.” 1 Peter 5:7-9
- I keep my soul clean and refuse to engage in evil. “Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.” James 1:27
- I take time to rest, relax, and spend time with God. “So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God’s rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.” Hebrews 4:9-11
- I seek God for what I’m in need of. “But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” Matthew 6:33
- God provides for my needs and I don’t have to be worried. “And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.” Isaiah 58:11
- Kindness is a key to living a happy life with people. “A man who is kind benefits himself, but a cruel man hurts himself.” Proverbs 11:17
- God gives me rest when I’m burnt out. “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
Bible Verses About Self Worth
You have to love yourself and know your identity in Christ to have true dominion over the darkness in the world.
- You were created to do great things. “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” Ephesians 2:10
- God has a life with the full display of His love for you waiting. “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” John 10:10
- You were created in the image of a PERFECT God. “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” Genesis 1:27
- Because God is King of Kings, you are a daughter from a royal bloodline. “But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.” 1 Peter 2:9
- You are the beloved daughter or son of God. “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20
- God wants to speak to me because He loves me. “No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.” John 15:15
- “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.” John 15:16
- Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 2 Corinthians 5:20
- You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Matthew 5:14
- For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. 2 Timothy 1:7
- For you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. 1 Corinthians 6:20
- The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. James 5:16
Bible Verses About Self Confidence
- I am strong and capable of doing powerful things for Christ. “I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13
- I will not fear the future and I will boldly spread God’s love. “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” 2 Timothy 1:7
- I won’t worry about taking a wrong step because God is directing me. “In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” Proverbs 3:6
- “The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands.” Psalm 138:8
- “The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:4-7
- “Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.” James 1:12
- “Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.” 1 Timothy 4:12
- “But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40:31
- “The wicked flee when no one pursues, but the righteous are bold as a lion.” Proverbs 28:1
- “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” Ephesians 2:10
- “Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.” 1 Corinthians 15:58
- Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2
Frequently Asked Questions
Is self love biblical? Yes, God said the second command is to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. We cannot love others fully unless we love self.
Does God tell us to love ourselves? Yes, he tells us to love our neighbors as ourselves. Self-love becomes pride when we don’t let God heal our insecurity. Pride is just a way of pretending that everything is okay. Pride is a trick to fake that you love yourself.
How loving yourself change your life? I don’t date men that don’t truly love me. I don’t let people treat me like trash and keep me in their lives. I also love people more because I understand how hard it is to love yourself and heal.
God started healing me in 2009, I didn't realize most of my healing was self-love. If you pray and ask "god teach me how to love myself" he will show you. Also try these 5 tips to experience love daily in the mailing list below.