A toxic relationship is poisonous and sucks all your energy, happiness, confidence, purpose, and faith in God. People with toxic traits are empty vessels looking to fill themselves with love. Unfortunately, you are the source that keeps them going. They need your love, encouragement, happiness, and energy to keep them full and alive.
Top 6 Signs of a Toxic Relationship
- At least one person refuses to change bad behaviors
- There is physical abuse present
- They degrade, demean, insult, and humiliate you
- You feel responsible for their emotions and meeting their needs
- They get angry with if you disagree or behave in a way they don’t like
- Their is physical violence and violent arguments
Are you ready to look within and attract healthier partners?
– Toxic Relationship Quiz: Test If It’s Emotionally Abusive!
– Empaths Attract Narcissists In Relationship: 3 Keys To End Cycle!
– Find Your Inner Power After A Toxic Relationship!
– How to Avoid Toxic Relationships When You’re Drunk in Love
– 5 Tips To Let Go of Toxic Relationships & Find Peace!
– Am I Toxic? Quiz + 11 Tips to Heal Toxic Traits!
- “A toxic person invites you into their maze of painful emotions and then traps you there.” ― Christina J. Daniels
- “You can’t put your heart in a blender and expect it to come out whole.” ― Christina J. Daniels
- “Some people are like clouds once they disappear it’s a beautiful day.”
Toxic Relationships Quotes
These toxic relationship quotes reflect the toxicity of codependence, victim mentality, lies, gaslighting, and manipulation. The truth is, most toxic relationships fail because there are unhealthy traits that go ignored or unaddressed.
1. “There are people who bring you down by just being them. They need not do anything.” ― Malebo Sephodi
2. “Sometimes trying to fix them, breaks YOU.” ― Steve Maraboli
3. “Toxic people attach themselves like cinder blocks tied to your ankles, and then invite you for a swim in their poisoned waters.” ― John Mark Green
4. “We should fight for our relationships, but if fighting means ripping yourself to shreds and piggybacking all his demons, you need to leave.” ― Tara Love
5. “Trust is key to any relationship, that said be very careful to who you trust. Trust is earned by doing what they say they will do, keeping their word and always having your back.” ― Tracy Malone
6. “Remove yourself from people who treat you like your time doesn’t matter, like your feelings are worthless, or like your soul is replaceable.” ― s.mcnutt
7. “They’ll stab you in the lungs and then ask why you’re having trouble breathing.” ― her-minds-a-mess
8. “You are holding a cactus plant in your hand. You are bleeding and cursing the cactus but not letting go of it. Cactus is not hurting you. Your own attachment with the cactus is hurting you.” ― Shunya
9. “Keeping bad company is like being in a germ-infested area. You never know what you’ll catch.” ― Frank Sonnenberg
10. “Consistency is genuinely improving yourself to become a good match for those with whom you are in relationships while distancing yourself from people when their actions become too toxic.” ― Dexter A. Daniels
11. “Why am I driving myself crazy trying to figure out why you keep hurting me? I’m not the “Narcissist Whisperer”. If you want to poison your own life, fine… But I’m done letting you poison mine.” ― Steve Maraboli
12. “A ‘situationship’ is not a relationship. Excuses about limitations and obstacles are just a lack of courage and commitment. Those who truly want to be together, find a way to make it happen.” ― Anthon St. Maarten
13. “Those who get upset for being treated the way that they treat others, will never understand why others treat them the way that they treat others.” ― David J Martinez
14. “Don’t confuse “familiar” with “acceptable”. Toxic relationships can fool you like that.” ― Steve Maraboli
15. “Narcissists are very retaliative if they believe another has achieved what they desire, exposed their insecurities, or refused to be under their control.” ― Lorraine Nilo
16. “When being in a toxic relationship in life at times you may have to step outside yourself, to see yourself, so you can find yourself and love yourself again.” ― Angel Moreira
17. “The worst lies were the lies I told myself about the lies others told me.” ― Alice Little
18. “The only person that deserves a special place in your life is someone that never made you feel like you were an option in theirs.” ― Shannon L. Alder
19. “Lies don’t end relationships the truth does.” ― Shannon L. Alder
20. “Poisonous relationships can alter our perception. You can spend many years thinking you’re worthless. But you’re not worthless. You’re under appreciated.” ― Steve Maraboli
21. “We teach people how to treat us.” ― Dr. Phil
22. “A relationship without trust is like a car without gas, you can stay in it all you want, but it won’t go anywhere.” ― Unknown
23. “Relationships are supposed to make you feel good. Relationships are not supposed to make you feel bad.” ― Laura Bowers
24. "Toxic people have a way of choosing open, kind people with beautiful, lavish hearts because these are the ones who will be more likely to fight for the relationship and less likely to abandon it.Even the strongest people can find themselves in a toxic relationship but the longer they stay, the more they are likely to evolve into someone who is a smaller, less confident, more wounded version of the person they used to be." ― Karen Young
25. “Don’t settle for a relationship that won’t let you be yourself.” ― Oprah Winfrey
Emotional & Physical Abuse Quote
Whether you have been emotionally or physically abused, it hurts like hell. Use these emotional and physical abuse quotes to see the damage caused and remember to never let it remove your sparkle from your face or the world.
1. “If you alter your behaviour because you are frightened of how your partner will react, you are being abused.” ― Sandra Horley
2. “If it dulls your shine then it’s abusive. You’re a beautiful star that was made to light up the darkness in the world.” ― Christina J. Daniels
3. “Even after the bruises disappear, the scars inside you are still there.” ― J.W. Lynne, The Unknown
4. “Putting up with an abusive person is like living with a pig in a pigsty and pretending not to care about the smell.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson, The Book of Maxims, Poems and Anecdotes
5. “Abuse is a control tactic. It’s aim is to break you and make you submit.” ― M. Wakefield
6. “Never lose yourself to your secret!” ― Patricia Dsouza
7. “The hardest part of being in an emotionally abusive relationship, it’s actually admitting you’re in one.” ― Anna Akana
Toxic Love Quotes
- “Love should not make you feel like walking on eggshells.” ― Emma Xu
- “When you don’t have honesty in love then there is no communication. Honesty is improvisation of the heart; anything less is a well thought out and rehearsed script.” ― Shannon L. Alder
- “A person who discards friends and lovers for new ones was never true to begin with.” ― Mitta Xinindlu
- You can keep your love, I will keep my respect. – Amit Kalantri
Letting Go Of A Toxic Relationship Quotes
Getting out of a toxic relationship can be emotionally taxing, but it needs to be done. Use these letting go of a toxic relationship quotes to help inspire you to that moving on is vital for your emotional health & Self Love is Not Selfish! Don’t settle for an unhealthy relationship when you deserve so much more!
1. “Your need for closure is used by the toxic person to bring you back into the cycle of abuse.” ― Christina J. Daniels
2. “Take back the keys to your life. Don’t let the pain or the abuser drive your choices.” ― Christina J. Daniels
3. “There is always hope for better. Don’t let the pain control your mind.” ― Christina J. Daniels
4. “Forgiveness is a personal process that doesn’t depend on us having direct contact with the people who have hurt us.” ― Sharon Salzberg, Real Love: The Art of Mindful Connection
5. “Just say NO to complicated, dead-end, unhealthy, and toxic relationships.” ― Stephanie Lahart
6. “At some point you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life.” ― Educated, Tara Westover
7. "Toxic people project their own character defects onto their victims. They do this by accusing the victim of the exact actions they themselves do but deny." ―Shannon Thomas
8. You create more space in your life when you turn your excess baggage to garbage. ― Chinonye J. Chidolue
9. “Just because you forgive someone, doesn’t mean they’re not still toxic. You’re allowed to not rebuild relationships… You’re allowed to just forgive and move on.” ― Steve Maraboli
10. “You take your power back by letting people go.” ― Emma Xu
11. “The person who doesn’t value you is blocking you from the one who will.” ― Robert Tew
12. “I’ve realized that being strong doesn’t mean you have to do it alone.” ― Dona Carroll
13. “Consistency is genuinely improving yourself to become a good match for those with whom you are in relationships while distancing yourself from people when their actions become too toxic.” ― Dexter A. Daniels
14. “Forgiving does not mean you need to cling to your abuser.” ― Patricia Dsouza, When Roses are Crushed
15. “I got to the point where I stopped asking questions because I didn’t want to be lied to. Abuse confuses you like that… Instead of walking away from the liar, you find ways to deal with the lies.” ― Steve Maraboli
16. “As you begin to walk away from negativity and toxic people, it will inspire you to embrace positivity and your life will become more rewarding and fulfilling.” ― Germany Kent
17. “As you begin to walk away from negativity and toxic people, it will inspire you to embrace positivity and your life will become more rewarding and fulfilling.” ― Germany Kent
18. “May you reach that level within, where you no longer allow your past or people with toxic intentions to negatively affect or condition you.” ― Lalah Delia
19. “Your own story matters. It’s either a victor’s journey or victim’s lament. The decision is in your hands.” ― Patricia Dsouza, When Roses are Crushed
20. “When you have been abused, it is important to learn early that looking back is only good to remember the lesson. That is all you should hold onto.” ― Tracy Malone
21. “It’s in your hands to transform your pain into victory.” ― Patricia Dsouza
22. “Every moment that you continue to stay in any type of toxic environment, you will lose your identity, bit by bit, until you become unrecognizable to yourself.” ― Christine E. Szymanski
23. “Ending a toxic relationship feels painful, but it’s just the pain you ignored over the course of time coming to the surface.” – Christina J. Daniels
24. “I am not damaged goods, I am not a product of my past. I am whole!” ― Patricia Dsouza
Finding Peace After A Toxic Relationship Quotes
- “Now that you’re outta my life, I’m so much better. You thought that I’d be weak without ya, but I’m stronger. You thought that I’d be broke without ya, but I’m richer. You thought that I’d be sad without ya, I love harder. You thought I wouldn’t grow without ya, now I’m wiser! You thought that I’d be helpless without ya but I’m smarter. You thought that I’d be stressed without ya, but I’m chillin’. You thought I wouldn’t sell without ya, sold nine million.” — Beyoncé
- “Let things come and go. Stay calm, don’t let anything disturb your peace, and carry on.” ― Germany Kent
Related Article: 66 Quotes To Help You Smile Through the Pain + Images!
Toxic Relationship Quotes for Him
Bad relationships can be so traumatizing for men, so your tribe probably isn’t taking the time to really understand you’re in pain. But, I feel you brother. I know see how hard it is to grieve when society keeps telling men NOT to cry. Ugh. Use these toxic relationship quotes for him to remember you deserve a woman that is beautiful inside and out. Love you!
- “There are many paths to a fairytale ending… Blocking, unfollowing, muting, and unfriending also lead to “Happily ever after.” ― Steve Maraboli
- “How you choose to feel today should not be dependent on others.” ― Anthon St. Maarten
- “What goes around, comes all the way back around.” ― Justin Timberlake
- “She’s has craters you didn’t create and darkness you don’t deserve. She’s as stunning as the moon on a cloudless night, but it may take millennia for her to find and manifest her own internal sunlight.” ― Curtis Tyrone Jones
- “I seem to be torn between ‘I wish we’d met earlier’ and ‘I wish we’d never met’.” ― Ahmed Mostafa
Toxic Wife Quote
- “It is better to live in a corner of the housetop than in a house shared with a quarrelsome wife.” ― Proverbs 21:9
2. "My advice to you is get married: if you find a good wife you’ll be happy; if not, you’ll become a philosopher." ― Socrates
Toxic Relationship Quotes for Her
Bad relationships can take a toll on our emotions. Here are some toxic relationship quotes for her, to help alleviate some of the pain.
- “Prince Charming turned out to be just an accurate description of a psychopath.” ― J.S. Wolfe
- She didn’t leave you for making too many mistakes, she left because you made the same mistake too many times.”
- “I love him the most when we fight and I am scared that he will leave me.” ― Laura Nowlin, If He Had Been with Me
- “He made you dependent on him so that your happiness depended on his and his depended on whether or not you agreed to what he said.” ― Namrata Gupta
- “Maybe I fell in love with a version of him that didn’t exist.” ― Namrata Gupta
- “He would hurt me and make the hurt my fault. So no matter who got hurt, I was to be blamed, always.” ― Namrata Gupta,Lost Love Late Love
- “So since I’m not your everything, How about I’ll be nothing, nothing at all to you.” ― Beyoncé
- “You could pack all your things, we’re finished. ‘Cause you made your bed, now lay in it.” ― Beyoncé
- “Don’t pay him any attention. Cause you had your turn and now you gonna learn, What it really feels like to miss me.” ― Beyoncé
FYI, I love how Beyoncé empowers us to love ourselves and leave any situation that isn’t helping. If you need a quick self confidence boost and a song to affirm your worth, check her out:
- “Thank God I found the good in goodbye.”― Beyoncé
- “It is so liberating to really know what I want, what truly makes me happy, what I will not tolerate. I have learned that it is no one else’s job to take care of me but me.“― Beyoncé
Toxic Marriage Quotes
Bad marriages can be toxic for your soul and mind. Is it time to move on?
- At some point you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart, but not in your life.
- A bad marriage is worse than no marriage at all. ― Neil Clark Warren
- It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages. ― Friedrich Nietzsche
- So many people prefer to live in drama because it’s comfortable. It’s like someone staying in a bad marriage or relationship – it’s actually easier to stay because they know what to expect every day, versus leaving and not knowing what to expect. It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages. ― Ellen DeGeneres
- A lot of success in life and business comes from knowing what you want to avoid: early death, a bad marriage, etc. ― Charlie Munger
- Nothing will undermine your effectiveness as a leader faster than a bad marriage. ― Michael Hyatt
- In a bad marriage, friends are the invisible glue. If we have enough friends, we may go on for years, intending to leave, talking about leaving -instead of actually getting up and leaving. ― Erica Jong
Toxic Relationship Paragraphs
You can copy and paste these toxic relationship paragraphs into your Facebook or use them as a caption for instagram.
- “Realize that narcissists have an addiction disorder. They are strongly addicted to feeling significant. Like any addict they will do whatever it takes to get this feeling often. That is why they are manipulative and future fakers. They promise change, but can’t deliver if it interferes with their addiction. That is why they secure back up supply.” ― Shannon L. Alder
- “Toxic relationships are dangerous to your health; they will literally kill you. Stress shortens your lifespan. Even a broken heart can kill you. There is an undeniable mind-body connection. Your arguments and hateful talk can land you in the emergency room or in the morgue. You were not meant to live in a fever of anxiety; screaming yourself hoarse in a frenzy of dreadful, panicked fight-or-flight that leaves you exhausted and numb with grief. You were not meant to live like animals tearing one another to shreds. Don’t turn your hair gray. Don’t carve a roadmap of pain into the sweet wrinkles on your face. Don’t lay in the quiet with your heart pounding like a trapped, frightened creature. For your own precious and beautiful life, and for those around you — seek help or get out before it is too late. This is your wake-up call!” ― Bryant McGill
- “Do not hold your breath for anyone, Do not wish your lungs to be still, It may delay the cracks from spreading, But eventually they will. Sometimes to keep yourself together, You must allow yourself to leave, Even if breaking your own heart, Is what it takes to let you breathe.” ― Erin Hanson
- “It’s rare for a toxic person to change their behavior. More often, the only thing that varies is their target and the blame they place. Because some toxic people are difficult to identify, keep in mind that a victim mindset is sometimes a red flag. So, listen when someone talks about their life and circumstances. If the list of people they blame is long… it’s probably only a matter of time before you’re on that list.” ― Steve Maraboli
- “You think you can change a guy, that he’ll be different with you, that you’ll finally be the one to tame him… and before you know it, you’re alone in your underwear at nine o’clock on a Saturday night, crying to Adele songs, eating ice cream straight from the gallon, and wondering what the hell is the matter with you that you fell for such a goddamned man-child after he explicitly warned you not to.” ― Julie Johnson
- “When you notice someone does something toxic the first time, don’t wait for the second time before you address it or cut them off. Many survivors are used to the “wait and see” tactic which only leaves them vulnerable to a second attack. As your boundaries get stronger, the wait time gets shorter. You never have to justify your intuition.” ― Shahida Arabi
- “Dear Liar, I’ve collected evidence from my family, friends, and even online. It proves that I’m not what you told others I was. I’m not crazy. I’m not alone. I’m not unloved. I’m not useless. I’m not stupid. In fact, I’m intelligent. I’m beautiful. I’m useful. I’m loved. I am not alone.” ― Mitta Xinindlu
- “Because if you think someone is a monster and the whole world says he’s a saint, you begin to think that you’re the bad person. It must be my fault this is happening is the only conclusion you can draw, because why are you the only one receiving his wrath?” ― Trevor Noah
- “Mind Games: constantly bashing a brick wall with your head because you are giving all you’ve got and hardly receiving anything back (…) a series of deliberate actions or responses planned for psychological effects on you, typically for amusement or competitive advantage.” ― Efrat Cybulkiewicz